When It Rains…

A rainy day photo of the Queensboro Bridge, as seen from the pedestrian bridge at Queensboro Plaza north.

Friday, September 28. Today’s weather report called for a chance of showers, as I recall. Of course, we left all the umbrellas at home, and I took only a windbreaker. Well, it not only rained, it poured. The water droplets hit so hard they kind of hurt. My windbreaker was useless at keeping my legs dry and the hood also kept blowing off my head, so my hair was soon in my eyes. I’d lent my husband my Maker Faire baseball cap, but he wasn’t faring any better than I was at staying dry. And the water was cold, too.

We had little choice: walk (run!) back to the hotel or press on to the subway station. We were more than halfway to the train, so we ducked under an awning and waited a couple of minutes until the rain lessened. Then we scurried the remaining two blocks to the train station. My shoes were squishing horribly. We got on the subway and transferred trains without incident (but with some map-checking!) and as we rode into Manhattan the rain faded.

Unfortunately, by the time we reached the 86th Street station it was raining again. No one wanted to go out in it, and the subway entrance was jammed with reluctant pedestrians. We squeezed out the door and ran up two or three shops to one with an awning, then repeated that a couple of times. I finally spotted a pharmacy and left Ben under an awning while I crossed the street into the store and bought two umbrellas. Our first souvenirs!

The walk from the station to the Metropolitan Museum of Art was much better after we had umbrellas, since their mighty weather-controlling ability warded off the rain so much we were able to put them away after a few minutes. Definitely a good purchase! We arrived at the museum shortly after it opened, so the line for tickets was quite short. We stowed our wet gear at the coat check, got our tickets, and wandered into the exhibit area. I’ll be posting about what we saw at the museum later, but in a word: Wow.